Wednesday, April 9, 2008

After SAMA

What a wonderful time we had at the mosaic artists' conference in Miami last week. Not only did we meet some great people, we also saw mosaic artwork that would blow your socks off! After so many years of stained glass, we've been expanding to include classes in many other art glass techniques. I think it's kept us from getting stale (but let me know if you disagree!). We've been teaching an introduction class to mosaics, and the exhibit of these talented artists has been a real eye opener - now I want to take our classes to the next level. Anyone want to help out by teaching classes here at the Studio?
Another thing I discovered is that I am even more committed to doing more fusing. Since I was at the conference to assist with selling the Morton System, I was lucky enough to watch the developer of the system show many of the tricks and tools available with this inovative set of jigs and surfaces. He brought some of the tiles he had made - to be used for mosaics, or wall art, or even coasters. Boy, did that inspire me! And, a big bonus, I got to keep all the scraps of glass left over from the demos. I can hardly wait to start filling the kiln!
Sure am tired though. The combination of extra hours, non-stop talking (stop laughing, I know you think I do that anyway!), and high adrenelin seems to have wiped me out. But my mind is spinning with ideas. And colors! I think the biggest reason I love working in this industry is COLOR. The ancient druids believed that color held power - to heal, to grow, to calm, to excite - and I believe it. I remember working on a stained glass lampshade years ago. The design was one of my brother's - a 20" shade of orchids. I don't remember why, but I was unhappy about something in my life, but the purples I worked with every day seemed to help me get through it. If I take the time to pay attention, I notice that different colors do make for different moods. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home